While her mother underwent treatments for terminal cancer, Calee Reed wrote the songs that would become her debut album The Waiting Place, releasing May 8th. The effort helped buoy Reed up during that painful time. It was her way of finding hope in the devastation of the disease.
Now, a year after her mother’s passing, Reed hopes the finished album will help others who are dealing with similar struggles.
“All the advice and well wishes in the world couldn’t help me at certain points during my mother’s illness, but music always could” Reed says. “Hopefully some part of my experience can help someone else through their trial.”
During the month of May, all proceeds from the download of Reed’s original song “She Put the Music in Me” (on iTunes) will be donated to the Huntsman Cancer Foundation. A music video for the song was made in tribute to Reed’s mother and will debut before Mother’s Day.
The album is distributed by Shadow Mountain Records. Bob Ahlander, director of music at Deseret Book expects The Waiting Place to cross genres and be embraced by many people. “Calee’s current sound and meaningful songs will make her an instant favorite” Ahlander says. “We are lucky to be working with her.”
There will be two concerts to celebrate the release of the album.
- May 11th 7pm – CD Release Concert at Sammy’s Café in Provo
- May 12th 8pm – Summer Back 2 School Block Party at The Ivy Apartments in Rexburg, ID
The tracks on The Waiting Place include many original songs with contemporary arrangements:
- 1The Waiting Place - The Waiting Place
- 2The Waiting Place - Give My Heart Your Peace
- 3The Waiting Place - Come, Thou Fount_I Am A Child Of God
- 4The Waiting Place - Closer To You
|1.Give My Heart Your Peace
2. Better Than a Hallelujah
3. Called to Serve
4. Closer to You
5. Time for Love
|6. Trust in God
7. The Waiting Place
8. Where Can I Turn for Peace?/Be Still, My Soul
9. She Put the Music in Me
10. Come, Thou Fount/I Am a Child of God